See /r/pcmasterrace/w/builds for actual PC hardware configurations. This page is just for software and peripherals advice.
This is a guide for those wanting to setup a HTPC to stream movies, TV shows and possibly for use in some lite gaming. We will be going over everything software wise, plus suggestions for accessories.
There are many different ways in software to create a feature-rich HTPC setup, we are going to cover two different ways and give you reasons for and against them to further customize your experience by letting you choice which you'd like to purchase.
- NZXT Website
- Great video to explain the DOKO including overview on setup and gameplay (Bioshock), by JayzTwoCents
- $99 - Cheap if you have a PC already
- Four USB ports for peripherals
- Low latency over the home network [50ms-80ms in testing]
- Able to connect to multiple PCs on the same home network at the same time [NAS Support]
These will work for both the DOKO and HTPC
Less than $100
- Dayton Audio B652 Bookshelf Speaker (~$40)
- Micca Club 3 (~$75)
- Pioneer SP BS22 LR (~$90)
In between $100 and $300
- AudioEngine P4 (~$250)
- Energy Classic 5.1 Theater system (~$300)
- Onkyo SKS-HT690 5.1 (~$300)
More than $300
- Wharfedale 220 B Diamond (~$350)
- Polk Audio Hampden (~$400 (no AMP/Receiver needed)
- Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2 (~$700
- Lepai-LP-2020A (~$50)
- Onkyo-TX-SR313 5.1 (~$160)
- AudioEngine N22 (~$200)
- Yamaha RX V377 5.1 (~$250)
- NAD 3020 DAC/AMP (~$500)
Note: This is something that isn't needed but will make the experience much better. Any programs listed are not yet tested on the DOKO but in theory should work.
- Flirc (~$25) allows you to use your TV remote with your PC.
- Wireless Xbox 360 for Windows (~$40) with this install guide will work for Ubuntu
- COMING SOONISH, Razer Turret
- Gopher 0.97, /u/Tizaki made this open source program that allows you to control a PC from a controller.
- HD Homerun (~$130-170) is the best tv tuner for a complete HTPC with functionality to run live tv on multiple devices.
If you have any more comments questions or concerns, please message us here